Monday, September 6, 2010

The Delicious Nameless Dish

















This summer we have been trying to eat low fat/high fiber with lots of fresh produce. I created this recipe and have made it many times lately, each time with a little variation. If you know the Weight Watcher’s jargon, this meal can have as few as 3 points. It is savory and filling and you don’t feel deprived one bit!

I have taken pictures of this meal the past few times I have made it, but have been stalling on posting about it because I can’t figure out what to call it! I have tried different names on for size:

Caribbean Main Course Salad
Roasted Veggie Black Bean Salad
Spicy Veggie and Bean Salad Plate
Roasted Veggie, Black Bean, Shrimp Salad
The Kicky Plate

I have asked friends, called my mom, looked in cook books for something similar…but they all seem too long of a name, or too general or negligent of some important aspect of the dish. Some might say it’s flavor is Caribbean, some Southwestern.
So, my wise friend Gretchen suggested that I just ask YOU, the readers to HELP ME NAME this dish!

So will you?

Here it is: (click for recipe)

The dish is kind of a salad platter-
I pile:
-Torn green leaf lettuce over ½ of the dinner plate
-A pile of diced fresh tomatoes in a spot on the lettuce
-½ cup (or so) of warm, seasoned black beans on another spot on the lettuce
-A spray of roasted vegetables
-A handful of cooked spicy shrimp
-A large dollop of light sour cream
-A tsp of finely chopped red onion

For the elements:
Black beans - I usually season with kosher salt, cumin, garlic powder, and Cholula (or Tabasco) to taste. Black beans are a favorite at our house. You can open a can, drain and rinse, season it and let it simmer on the stove for a 15 minutes, or you can start with a sack of dry beans and cook on the stove for hours until tender and then season. Either way you can make some tasty beans


Roasted Veggies - Use whatever vegetables you like or have on hand- our favorites are asparagus, red bell pepper and zucchini. Clean and cut veggies into large pieces (they will shrink) toss in olive oil (unless I’m being REALLY good and then I spray Olive Oil Cooking Spray on them and toss) and sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Then place on a greased baking sheet and cook at 400 degrees until tender, tossing ½ way through (about 20-30 minutes depending on the vegetables you choose).

Spicy Shrimp - I place raw, peeled, deveined shrimp in a small bowl and toss with kosher salt, the juice of a lime, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and Cholula. I spray my stove top grill pan and cook on medium high for a few minutes on each side until white (fully cooked).

This entire meal takes no time to put together and it is savory, kicky, filling and fresh!
It needs no dressing because the cool, creamy sour cream melds with the grilled veggies and beans to make it’s own sauciness.

You can switch it up however you like-exchange the shrimp with tilapia or roasted chicken or just go vegetarian. And you can add shredded cheddar cheese, tortilla chips, and/or rice if you want. This is the “lightest” version but get creative and individualize the dish to your liking.

So, what are we to name this thing?
You might want to make it and see if the name comes to you!

9 comments:

  1. I'm here to help you get rid of all the bad ideas first:

    Let us eat off of lettuce

    The S.S. Tasty (Spicy Shrimp Tasty)

    3-point salad

    Shrimper's Delight (this name will require those eating it to do karaoke to "Rapper's Delight," but your kids can handle the rapping)

    Shrimp and veggie bean-thing

    Smorgasboard of goodness, island-style

    Caribbean Queen (also requires karaoke, but this time to a Billy Ocean song)

    Warm salad with switchable shrimp
    Julie's Salad Special

    Now that all the bad ideas have been taken (except that last one -- I sort of like it), the real chefs can figure out some better names. Just trying to get the ball moving for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pick was "Stroll through the Garden plus Beans!" but it got rejected! Sounds yummy though. Gotta try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fiesta Plate
    Platter of Yumminess

    Okay, I'll keep thinking. I have had the privilege of eating this dish! I will try to remember the taste and see if I can come up with something else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are making your dish for dinner as we speak! I'm so excited. I think I really like "roasted veggie and black bean salad (you add the meat)" although I know that's probably way too long. Rich says you should call it "Hot Salad". I like that one too . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh these are great! Cherilyn, thanks for getting us off to a great start :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I tried the delicious nameless dish. Still can't offer a name. The flavors worked well together, and the Weight Watcher points seemed very "affordable" for a beautiful, large plate of food. You said Dave liked to mix it up, and in the end, that is what I did. I actually cooked the veggies at one end of the grill pan, and the shrimp at the other, and that worked great. Well, I have my cloth napkins in place, and I have tried the new dish, so am ready for a new idea from you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't yet tried this salad extraordinaire, but it sounds divine! I'll have fun pondering potential names; the first that springs to mind is ... Some Like It Hot Salad. But, that's pre-eating, possibly misleading and definitely cheesy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many years ago, in the 1970s, there was a Nashville vegetarian restauant called The Laughing Man. One of the dishes was steamed veggies over rice with (way too much) cheese on top. At my house, that became roasted veggies over brown rice with a bit of cheese and cashew nuts. We call it Laughing Man. So how about Laughing Woman for this dish?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to laugh so this may be the name that fits the salad- and it is laughable to me that this yummy of a salad could be this healthy!

    ReplyDelete