Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Last Call for Cranberries: Cranberry Orange Bread


















Cranberries are so lovely.  They add such zip, color and flavor to recipes!  November and December are the main cranberry months, but if you look quick you can get some in January!  I always stock up for the following 10 months!

I am always looking for a great quick bread recipe that can be thrown together easily for breakfast or to take somewhere. This recipe is a favorite- chock full of cranberries, orange juice and zest and chopped walnuts!  (As for Cranberry muffins these, from King Arthur Flour, are my all-time favorites - though they require a little more time to prepare with more chopping and measuring than this Cranberry bread).  

My friend Emily shared this bread recipe with me a few years ago.  I can't even remember when or in what context, but I printed it out, tucked it in a notebook, and have reached for it many times through the years.

Emily continually inspires me.  She has an lovely blog Celebrate Today, where she shares about her daily life and beckons the reader to celebrate each day- in grand and small ways.   You can check it out HERE.

This week she wrote about her morning run - seeing the sun rise (inspiring, I told you) and she noted seeing the crocus flowers starting to peek through the ground, signaling that spring is coming soon.  I needed to hear that.  I needed the reminder that these gray days will end and there will be green grass, blooming blossoms, and sunny days again. This gives me hope. 

In the meantime as I wait for those spring days, I am going to use my cranberries, and try to embrace these days.


2 cups all purpose flour (or combination of whole wheat/ all-purpose or whole grain pastry flour)
1 cup sugar (or a little less)
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 egg
½ cup orange juice
grated peel (the zest) of 1 orange
2 Tbsp. melted butter
2 Tbsp. hot water
1 cup fresh cranberries (or frozen)
½ to 1 cup chopped walnuts (depending on how nutty you like it)

In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients.  In another bowl, beat egg. Add orange juice, peel, butter and hot water.  Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened. Gently fold in cranberries and walnuts.  Spoon into greased loaf pan (or mini loaf pans).
Bake at 325 degrees for 60 minutes (if using large loaf pan- reduced if using small pans) or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. 
Cool for 10 minutes before removing and placing on a wire rack.






















I made it a couple of weeks ago and doubled the recipe.  I baked 1/2 in my mini-loaf pans to slice and take to church and the other 1/2 in a large loaf pan, which I wrapped up, froze and took to the Joneses when we went to visit during the holidays. 



It freezes well, thaws easily, travels well, and is good for breakfast, lunch, or for snacking!

We got to enjoy it for breakfast at their home with omelets, yogurt and homemade granola.  Delicious! 

While the cranberry bread was baking, I couldn't resist making a jar of cranberry sauce with the rest of the cranberries in the bag.  I wrote about making cranberry sauce HERE. So easy, pretty, and delicious on sandwiches, with dinner, or in my yogurt for breakfast!

















Seize the cranberries while they last, and hold out hope that spring is coming soon!




2 comments:

  1. This bread is delicious! Even Seth, who typically doesn't enjoy cranberry goodness, could not stay away from this bread! So good. I think I'll make a loaf for him to take to his new work friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such fun to see Seth enjoying it! And yes, it would be a great "take to work" loaf- it's sturdy and travels well.
      And I am glad I snapped a picture of your breakfast table so I could post it here and hold onto that memory.

      Delete